Coldplay's Yellow beats The Killers' Mr. Brightside to most-streamed '00s song in 2021
17 December 2021, 15:50 | Updated: 17 December 2021, 16:04
The iconic 2000 Coldplay hit was streamed more times than The Killers' 2001 anthem on Spotify this year. Found out where your other favourites placed.
Listen to this article
Mr. Brightside may be a crowd favourite at weddings and house parties, but Coldplay's Yellow ballad was streamed more times on Spotify this year.
LoveUX revealed the songs from the 2000s and 2010s we have the most nostalgia for by comparing play counts in January between 2000 and 2019, with the play count in December, to discover how many times they were streamed on Spotify during 2021.
Chris Martin and co's 2000 song scored 278 million streams in 2021, while the Las Vegas indie legend's floor-filling banger only scored 255.9 million.
Elsewhere in the decade, Linkin Park's In The End was streamed 236 million times this year, while Arctic Monkeys' 2007 hit 505 scored a respectable 210.8m streams on the platform this year.
When it came to rap stars, Eminem ruled the decade, with his songs making up for half of the most streamed Hip-Hop tracks from the 2000s and his 2002 track Without Me scoring the most streamed song from 2002 with 227.1 million streams.
See the most nostalgic song from each year based on Spotify streams in 2021:
- 2000: Yellow by Coldplay - 278m streams
- 2001: In The End by Linkin Park - 236m streams
- 2002: Without Me by Eminem - 227.1m streams
- 2003: Mr. Brightside by The Killers - 255.9m streams
- 2004: Toxic by Britney Spears - 172.2m streams
- 2005: Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz - 173.5m streams
- 2006: Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado - 190.4m streams
- 2007: 505 by Arctic Monkeys - 210.8m streams
- 2008: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz - 208.6m streams
- 2009: I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas - 224m streams
- 2010: Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars - 246.5m streams
- 2011: Talking To The Moon by Bruno Mars - 302.5m streams
- 2012: Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood - 465.9m streams
- 2013: Take Me To Church by Hozier - 290.6m streams
- 2014: The Nights by Avicii - 265.6m streams
- 2015: Daddy Issues by The Neighbourhood - 295.5m streams
- 2016: Goosebumps by Travis Scott - 307.2m streams
- 2017: Believer by Imagine Dragons - 332.3m streams
- 2018: Someone You Loved by Lewis Capaldi - 485.7m streams
- 2019: Blinding Lights by The Weeknd - 846.7m streams